Giving Tuesday is a National Day of Giving that encourages giving back. It is a global generosity movement inspiring people and organizations to transform their communities and the world. It takes place the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.
Today, this year, we think of those who are struggling and don’t have the same opportunities as we do. On Giving Tuesday, consumers, businesses, and community centers come together in their generosity towards others.
As we encourage those who can to give back to the communities, here are some possible ways to give on #GivingTuesday.
- Consider volunteering, whether it’s your children’s school, a local food pantry, or delivering meals to the elderly. Volunteering is usually only once or twice a week and contributes to the community.
- Research a local pantry and learn their most critical food needs. Coordinate a food drive at your work or in your neighborhood. Follow through until you have enough goods and then schedule a time to deliver the food supply.
- An alternative to a food drive is a pet food/pet toy drive.
- Donate gift cards to community centers, non-for-profits, or your favorite cause.
- Many people want to give back but don’t always know where to begin without a specific cause. Read here for tips on How to Give Back on GivingTuesday.
While some of us already have a cause we’re passionate about, others may need inspiration. Here are a couple of local organizations that help our community:
Fetch Wisconsin Rescue – Their Winter Donation Drive continues to find homes for dogs throughout the coming season.
Innovative Schools Network – A group of educators creates and nurtures innovative schools by encouraging and supporting each other in developing high quality, research-based resources, and strategies for both educators and students.
University Of Wisconsin–Madison Giving Tuesday UW–Madison faces critical funding challenges caused by the pandemic.
Volunteer with SSM Health at Home – Wisconsin – a variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Meals On Wheels. This organization makes it for you to make a difference in your community. They offer flexibility, and your commitment level works best for you.
- Hospice volunteers. These are outstanding volunteers that provide emotional support, companionship, and respite care to our patients and families. Volunteering times are flexible.
Join us in spreading a message about global generosity that speaks to humankind. #GivingTuesday celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy. Use this day as a way to give to and serve the needs of individuals and communities!